This is an 18-month contract with the likelihood of an extension to a permanent, full-time position within the organization.
Who we Are:
At Smallworks, Vancouver’s leading name in laneway homes and infill development, we’re not just building houses – we’re crafting a sustainable future for urban living. Back in 2006, Smallworks founder, Jake Fry, spearheaded the introduction of laneway homes in Vancouver when he recognized a gap in our housing supply and the opportunity to provide gentle density. Since then, we have built nearly 400 infill homes and continue to advocate for innovative housing solutions across North America. We’re passionate about creating beautiful, simple, and elegant spaces. Our team is a mosaic of creativity, dedication, and expertise, and we’re proud of the vibrant culture we’ve cultivated – a place where expertise is valued, teamwork is paramount, and we take pride in helping families while shaping Vancouver’s housing landscape.
What we Build:
Smallworks builds everything on a single-family lot, except for the single-family home. From a laneway home to an 8-unit multiplex, we are all about housing innovation that elegantly brings gentle density to the single-family neighbourhood.
We are looking for a dynamic and passionate Senior Designer to join our growing design team. As a key member of our close-knit studio, you will lead the design, delivery and coordination of large (multiplex) and small (laneway homes) projects from pre-design to construction completion. You will contribute to the technical knowledge of the design team, acting as a resource for project designers and Smallworks staff. The role will include working directly with clients, consultants and city staff to advance projects that enrich communities where people live, grow and work. This is an 18-month contract with the likelihood of an extension to a permanent, full-time position within the organization.
- Client Relationships:
- Build enduring relationships with clients, understanding their needs and aspirations, and advocating for them with internal and external parties throughout their project.
- Technical Expertise:
- Develop design drawings and specifications for building permits and construction and ensure compliance with local building codes and regulations.
- Apply a robust technical understanding of wood framed construction and building envelope systems to project designs and as support to the design team.
- Design Execution:
- Collaborate with clients to develop floor plans, sections and elevations and produce building envelope and interior details for customized projects.
- In consultation with the Executive, represent Smallworks aesthetics and ensure key design principles are applied across all projects.
- Presentation and Communication:
- Be the vital link between clients and the Smallworks team, hosting design presentations and client meetings, and ensuring clarity in all communications.
- Business Growth:
- Stay up to date on the ever-changing industry by conducting research on materials, building codes, regulations, industry trends, technologies, and design methodologies.
- Act as lead design contact between Senior City staff and Smallworks for items such as issue resolution, introduction to new processes and permit process updates.
- Mentor new employees and other Smallworks designers to expand their competencies in home design and project execution.
- Smallworks Spokesperson:
- Champion the development of multiplex designs for Smallworks, advancing the project opportunities across the lower mainland.
- Be a passionate voice in the housing conversation and a strong advocate for gentle density.
Our Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A passion for design and creating beautiful functional small spaces.
- Advanced knowledge of the project delivery process and the ability to anticipate and troubleshoot as required.
- Competency in all aspects of contract documentation, working drawings, detailing, development/building permit submissions, envelope details, shop drawings, tender and construction documents.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects to meet project schedules and timelines.
- Knowledge of BC Building Code and local by-laws.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to read, interpret, apply, and explain drawings, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to initiate and maintain supportive relationships with clients that extend through to project completion.
What You Will Bring to the Role:
- 5-10 years of building design experience in residential construction
- A Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Design (or similar)
- Experience in wood-framed construction is required
- Proficiency in Vectorworks software is a strong asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Competitive Salary:$72,000-$80,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Options for Flexible Work Arrangements:Option to work from home 2 days a week and/or pursue a condensed work-week with every second Friday off.
- Professional Growth: Opportunities for training and career advancement in a company that values innovation and talent.
- A Collaborative Culture: Be part of a team where creativity, passion, and hard work are appreciated and encouraged.
- Impact: The opportunity to craft a sustainable future for homeowners, families, and neighbourhoods across the lower mainland with innovative housing solutions.
Ready to Join Us?
If you’re ready to help shape Vancouver’s urban landscape, send your resume, cover letter and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org, showcasing why you’re the perfect fit for our purpose-driven team.
Smallworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest and effort; however, only those invited for interviews may be contacted.