Smallworks is seeking a designer for our growing firm. This is a full-time, permanent opportunity.
The designer’s role, as a member of the Smallworks team, is to design exemplary beautiful small homes. All of our homes are unique and tailored to our client’s needs. While the homes range from traditional to completely
custom designs; each project reflects values of being well-proportioned and elegant.
The successful applicant will work in a close, fast-paced work environment, which manages design-build projects in Vancouver. Your involvement will be to design and produce permit and construction drawing sets, as well as
spec packages and drawings for interior design. The expectation is for the designer, alongside the team, to bring ongoing improvements to our small home designs.
The designer needs to be able to start at least one new project every six weeks and will be responsible for managing that project throughout the design process. This will include coordination with the Smallworks office team, city staff, and coordination with the construction team as required.
This is a rare opportunity for an individual interested in residential construction to produce a significant body of work. The successful candidate will have the opportunity for design autonomy within a supportive work environment. The designer will gain an increase in knowledge of construction, detailing, and interior design experience with a variety of sites and a variety of architectural styles.
- Self-manage a workload of several projects, working with clients through the full design process
- Manage project though municipal permitting process
- Participate in construction process to resolve site issues, client management and interior design
- Participate in the improvement and evolution of the Smallworks standard building practices
- Assemble detail packages for interior and exterior details, by using existing resources and your own experience/knowledge of building design and construction
- Regularly consult with key Smallworks personnel: structural engineers, geotechnical engineers, arborists,
- Proficiency in Vectorworks strongly preferred
- Leadership, communication and organizational skills
- Experience with and strong understanding of municipal building by-laws and codes, particularly VBBL and Vancouver’s Laneway Housing By-Law
- Can demonstrate comfort and knowledge of a range of residential exterior and interior design and
construction details; experience with wood-frame construction and building panelization an asset